Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ash Tuesday



There was a story on NPR this morning about the lower-key ceremonies that were marking the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.  In New York City, for instance, no big-name politicians spoke.  As the names of the victims were read and the bagpipers played, there were hundreds gathered, whereas in years past there have been thousands gathered.

One surviving family members said, "Somehow, I feel more normal this year," and Charles G. Wolfe, another surviving family member, said, "We've gone past that deep, collective, public grief."  (As reported by Steve Inskeep and Renee Montagne).

Perhaps it is time for quieter commemorations, for lower-key ceremonies evocative of Ash Wednesday worshippers donning ashes in remembrance of their common mortality and in acknowledgement of their collective grief, which might be less public but is still just as deep.

How have you commemorated this anniversary?  If you were to adopt a Lenten-like discipline or practice as a way of safeguarding the memory of 9/11, what would it be?  What would you (or have you) resolved to do?


2 comments:

  1. I've always preferred to remember this day quietly and on my own, so personally, I'm glad to learn activities for this year's commemorations will be on a smaller scale. I've always felt when remembrances and memorials become smaller, they become more meaningful. As for my own memorial, I've decided to make a small art quilt. I spent some time in quiet contemplation this morning drawing sketches and selecting fabrics. I've wanted to make this quilt for a long time, but, perhaps in response to significant changes in my own life, it's only now begun to feel as though the time has come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francie, if you'd like, please post a picture of the quilt when it's ready. Like you, I am grateful for the smaller, yet deeply meaningful, remembrances.

      Delete